Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Saying Farewell To the Dress








This is another shift dress I picked up solely because of the pattern. It's also one of those dresses that I bought to wear to a couple of  fall and winter events, but have recently incorporated into my work wear rotation. The banded boat neck collar and pops of navy make it easy to pair with a blazer. Like many of JCrew's pretty patterned dresses, it did not come in Tall and was too short off the rack, so I did let the hem entirely out which gave me another two plus inches (a ribbon on inside of the dress allows for the finished hemline).

I've had this dress a year and a half or maybe a little more. And I've gotten some good use out of it;  it's by no means on heavy rotation. But, its days as a dress are over. 

The first time I ever wore this dress was to a friend's bridal shower and I ended up ripping the right sleeve with my engagement ring. Go figure. Fortunately, it tore along the seem so I had a tailor repair it (and take in the other sleeve because I didn't want one fat arm and one skinny arm - these are the things I worry about and I always thought the arms were a little wide). 

Well, I wore this dress yesterday to work. In the late afternoon, I realized I had a huge rip in the back, just below my butt. Thank goodness it's lined with a grey slip. I'm not sure what I would have done if it wasn't. It would have been quite the show. I have no idea how it happened, but it's ripped. Badly. So, I think I'll be taking this one to the tailor (for the third time now) to be made into a shirt. I'm sad to see the dress go, but I'm happy I'll be able to hold onto the print. For a little bit longer anyways. 

Dress: old, similar here | Blazer: here | Necklace: here | Shoes: old, similar here

No comments:

Post a Comment