Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Our Wedding








My husband and I got married in May of this year and I spent fifteen months planning our big day. I really enjoyed the planning process and couldn't be more pleased with the way it all came together! We are honored and humbled that Snippet & Ink featured our wedding on Thursday of this week. It is a beautiful tribute to our wedding! You can read the feature here.

We got engaged in February 2014 and I started planning immediately.  Although we'd be been together for many years, I'd never thought much about what I wanted our wedding to look like. I was willing to consider any and all venues, including restored warehouses, churches, museums, and homesteads. I was dead set against any colored or patterned carpet. Weird requirement, I know.

Selecting the venue was the most difficult and influential decision we made throughout the entire wedding process. We knew we wanted a more formal, elegant wedding so we decided on long gowns for the bridesmaids in dusty shale from JCrew (here) and black and white tuxes for the men. These decisions inspired the black and white stripe table runner along with the blush table linens which created a color palette that grounded the entire design (including floral and stationary). I wanted a design that was cohesive, but not repetitive or matchy-matchy. I think we achieved that!

The rehearsal was almost rained out, but I insisted on practicing outside where we knew we'd be holding the ceremony. So, I was bit of witch and made everyone stand outside to practice in the rain. I figured I was allowed to have a bride-zilla moment. 

On the day of the wedding, we couldn't have asked for better weather. It was perfect, sunny, dry, and in the 70s with no humidity. Although I didn't want an outdoor wedding initially, I'm so glad we pulled this one off (I did make arrangements to tent the area in case of rain). 

Although we had a minor hiccup on the day of the wedding with my wedding dress (it arrived a bit wrinkled), my bridesmaids took great care of me and I had a truly enjoyable, stress-free day getting ready with my friends and family. We got married in the evening so we weren't rushed getting ready and I truly enjoyed hanging out with the girls for the day! 

As the ceremony approached, I never became nervous. I'm not sure why. I thought I would. But, the butterflies never came. I'd like to think that's because we'd been together for so long at that point that I was entirely comfortable with the proposition of spending the rest of my life with the man I was about to marry. Oh, and by the way, things don't feel so different or daunting now that we're married, either! But, I did expect to become nervous about the details of the day. I didn't. I'd planned so many details that I knew something would likely be forgotten, but in the moment I was so excited and content to marry Tyler, that I wasn't concerned about a missed detail or a wrinkled dress (OK, maybe I was worried about a wrinkled dress). Turns out, not a single detail was overlooked.

The actual ceremony is somewhat of a blur. I vividly remember waiting to walk down the aisle, walking down the aisle and generally repeating our vows. I was the most nervous as we prepared to repeat our vows only because I was afraid I'd misspeak. Fortunately, I managed to repeat after the officiant just fine! But, we did have to re-do our "first kiss" because it didn't pass muster. Whoops. 

The reception was an absolute BLAST. I had no idea we'd have so much fun. I don't think I've ever danced so much in my entire life. But, I spent as much of the night as possible on the dance floor with friends and family and I'm so glad I did! I also ate dinner (though, I missed out on dessert); I know a lot of couples aren't able to do so on their wedding so I arranged for Cook-Out to be waiting for us in the get-away car in case we were starving (it was where we ate the night we first met). Unfortunately, it went un-eaten. 

Our reception ended earlier than we would've liked because of venue restrictions, but an impromptu after party meant we didn't miss out. I ended up at a local bar and restaurant after the wedding in my wedding gown (we walked so I even crossed the road and stopped traffic in my dress). I wanted to get as much use as possible out of it!  

The pictures above are a random assortment that aren't already featured on Snippet & Ink. There are so many amazing photos and Snippet & Ink did a wonderful job selecting those that tell the story of our day the best. So, these are just some extra details along the way. I truly enjoyed planning our day and I'm ready to do it again (marrying the same guy, of course!). So, if you're in the Raleigh, NC area and have any questions or need any vendor recommendations, I'm happy to help! All vendors are listed on Snippet & Ink.

All pictures are by Michael Moss Photography




No comments:

Post a Comment