Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

Tone on Tone







Sometimes I think I should have lived during the Mad Men era. Then I remember I probably wouldn't have fared well: I'm opinionated, career oriented, and a horrible housewife. But, I love 1950s inspired clothing. When I happened upon this dress, it caught my eye. The v-neck was a pleasant surprise, so many suiting dresses are round or boat neck which can get a little tight and constricting during the day (does anyone else have to remember to pull down their dress before sitting?!?). This neckline is definitely screaming for a statement necklace, but I don't currently own one that I love with it. Like I said previously, I need to expand my statement necklace collection.

 I couldn't make my mind up about the pleats. They definitely make the dress stand out. But, I was concerned it made the dress a little too Jacki O. I caught it on promotion and decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I decided to take a chance. The pleats drape exceptionally well, they're heavy and keep their shape well throughout the day with  minimal wrinkling on the back side. In fact, we took these pictures after I'd worn the dress all day.

Paired with this grey leopard print cardigan, I don't think it reads too 1950s housewife. What do you think? This dress does not come in tall, but as you can see, it hits just barely above my knee. So, no extra length necessary. I've considered having it hemmed just a little, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I would recommend sizing down. I ordered my usual size and probably should have exchanged it, but I didn't. The reviews suggest it was also a hit with petite women who were willing to make necessary alterations. And, it comes in pink if you're more daring than me. 

Dress: here | Cardigan: old, similar here, and here | Shoes: old, similar here, here, and here

No comments:

Post a Comment